Saturday, September 27, 2008

Tattoo Me . . .



I read in the New York Times the other day that 40% of the adults in the US between the ages of 26 and 40 have at least one tattoo. I would guess that in Portland the percentage is even higher. I am firmly in that demographic.

They Use This For The Really BIG Tattoos

When I got my first tattoo twelve years ago, it was a really big deal. I had just graduated from law school, I was 35 years old, and the last thing I wanted was to be sucked into "The Establishment." I figured it was time for a tattoo. I spent months deciding exactly what I wanted, a Celtic "shield knot" on the skin over my Achilles tendon, and when I finally went through with it I thought I would faint from the pain. It was like a hive of angry hornets trying to break through my skin from the inside . . .

Five years later, I had forgotten the pain and was ready for Tat Two (Ha!). At Greg's suggestion, this one was of a cartoon bunny that I used as my signature on notes to him (Awwwwwww), on my back between my shoulder blades.

Love Bunny

Again, it hurt (especially the little red heart that landed right on top of a vertebra) but apparently not as much, because I was ready for #3 within three years. This time, I chose a 1930s Bianchi chain ring design that I found on a friend's website:

The things we do for love

#3 hurt a bit, mainly because it, like #1 and parts of #2, it was on a body part where there was no fat pad to cushion against. But once again the pain must not have been daunting, because today, less than two years after getting #3, I was back for #4.

A few months back, on an especially difficult ride, I leaned against my bike to rest and managed to give myself one of the most perfect chain ring grease tattoos ever:

Considering permanence

A light bulb went off in my head, and that perfect grease tattoo (or a reasonable facsimile thereof) is now part of my permanent collection:

Fresh Ink

This one didn't really hurt at all; it was more like a persistent itch/scratch that felt a little warm at times. Either I am getting used to the pain, or I am beginning to actually enjoy it. Or maybe it's just that endurance riding has raised my pain threshold to new heights of absurd.

While I was getting #4, I had Tyler touch up my first tattoo to turn it into a chain ring. Call it Tattoo #4.5, if you will:

My first, and fifth, tattoo

Time to stock up on opaque hose for court . . .

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Hah! I love it!

Anonymous said...

Nice and .... SHOOT!

That chainring tatoo thing has been rattling around in my noggin for 2 years. In my mind my version would have a little bit of greeninsh purple bruising around the edges of the lower gear teeth
with just a small dribble of dried blood dripping down. Oh, and the faintest outline of the first few letter of the Campy logo.

Oh well, if you snooze you loose. I guess I could always go the for the L O V E and H A T E on the knuckles thing.... or butterflys, or porpoises, or a Nike swoosh.

nice though,

Yr Pal Dr C